Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Having My Cake and Eating It Too

This week I celebrated a birthday.  Another year bites the dust at lightning speed.  I don't know where it went but what a fabulous year it was!
 




At work I was showered with cards, gifts and a scrumptious cake. 


In addition to a bevy of birthday greetings, pictures of me from the 70s turned up on my Facebook wall-evidence proving beyond a reasonable doubt that I haven't changed a bit.  It also proves my nana was right when she told me if I made too many funny faces my face would freeze that way.  Fortunately she wasn't right about cross eyed faces.


Birthdays don't bother me.  Most people seem genuinely surprised when they learn how old I am.  Whatever the reason for that-good genes, clean living, being a Gemini (yes I've been told Geminis usually look younger)...age is just a number.  Granted it's a finite number but since there's no way of knowing when that number is going to come up, it's important to take joy in the little things and make the most of every day.


For my birthday this year, I decided to buy myself a little present.  OK so I buy myself "presents" quite frequently but every so often I justify one by designating it for a special occasion.  For a couple of years I've been admiring Tyson Weiss Fish In the Garden glazed fish in both Deanne and Monique's gardens.  They are beautiful, unique and hand crafted in the artist's studio in Falmouth, Maine.




So I'm pleased to announce that I am now the proud owner of a versatile little Tyson Weiss blue koi.  It's small enough so I can move it around the garden as plants change and grow but dramatic enough to stand out on it's own.  With Nick's help I decided to place it under the patio fountain (at least for now).  Happy Birthday to me!

6 comments:

  1. Love the fish Sue! looks great by the fountain and that pic with NIckster is a classic

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's either garden art or my husband. I'll let you know when I decide.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent b-day choice ! Nick just wants to make sure he gets in more photos than the Twerp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that fish! So cool! Hope you had a nice birthday week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue, I hereby extend that week of celebration to the present. Happy Happy!

    ReplyDelete